Between feeding, bathing, playing and (these days) homeschooling your kids – it’s hard to imagine adding another job to the mix. But having a paid job on top of life’s daily responsibilities is a great way to become financially independent, give your family extra income and it’s a positive outlet to fuel your creative interests.
A good job for a stay at home mom (SAHM) is something that is flexible enough to work around your own schedule and can be done part-time. Thanks to the internet and more companies making the shift to remote working – the opportunity to have a job while still being available for your children, is more possible than ever before and can be done at your own pace.
Below I have listed some really amazing job ideas to help get you started on your Boss Mom journey!
- Start a blog (or vlog)
- Brief description: Use your experiences as the impetus to get paid to write or create video content.
- What’s required: Contribute to your own or other websites, social media outlets, or other publications. (Youtube, Tik Tok or Vimeo for videos)
- How to make money: affiliate marketing, ads network, sell a product/service, sponsored content
- Average Income: $33k per year
- Sell through an online marketplace
- Brief description: an online marketplace is an ecommerce site (such as Amazon, Etsy, Ebay, Chewy) that offers many different products from many different sellers.
- What’s required: products, seller account
- How to make money: marketing plan, understanding basic algorithm, get pricing right
- Average income: Variable
- Start your own online business
- Brief description: selling your products direct-to-consumer or drop-ship.
- What’s required: products to sell, an e-commerce website and a marketing budget.
- How to make money: social media advertising, google ads, word of mouth
- Average income: variable
- Brief description: a person works for themselves, rather than for a company (graphic designer, web developer, manage social media, writer, proofreader, event planner, photographer)
- What’s required: a website that displays your work.
- How to make money: becoming a member on websites like Freelancer or Upwork.
- Average income: variable
- Brief description: trained professional that uses a range of cosmetology techniques to provide hair, nail, makeup, or skin care services to their clients
- What’s required: beautician license
- How to make money: start with the people you know, referral, online marketing
- Average income: $20 per hour
- Brief description: Teach kids or adults in a specific subject or language you are qualified or good at.
- What’s required: Knowledge and resources in the specific area you are teaching.
- How to make money: virtual classrooms or in person lessons.
- Average income: $22 per hour
- Child or pet care
- Brief description: the care and supervision of a child or pet (that are not your own)
- What’s required: a clean, safe and loving environment (and a lot of patience).
- How to make money: advertise your service in mom social groups or your kids’ playgroups
- Average income: $11 per hour
- Life or Wellness Coach
- Brief description: Helping others mentally and emotionally or with their health and fitness (these two are not the same, but if you enjoy helping others and you have a background in either this is perfect for you.)
- What’s required: background in psychology (Life Coach) or training in nutrition and physical activities (Wellness coach)
- How to make money: word of mouth (referral), advertising online
- Average income: $34 per hour
Work from home jobs
- Recruiting/ Headhunter
- Brief description: help other professionals find fulfilling jobs, and you’ll help clients find the talent they need to power their businesses.
- What’s required: review resume/ CV, negotiate salaries, and place professionals in agreeable employment positions.
- How to make money: receive a fee from the hiring employers.
- Average income: $27 per hour
- Brief description: is a professional who provides expert advice in a particular area such as business, education, law, regulatory compliance, marketing (PR) or finance etc.
- What’s required: credentials and experience in the area in which you are providing advice
- How to make money: work for a company or freelance
- Average income: varies
- Data Entry
- Brief description: takes written information from forms, applications or company files and enter the information into a computer system’s database.
- What’s required: proficient typing skills and sharp attention to detail.
- How to make money: transcription, translator, survey, legal agency
- Average income: $19 per hour
- Customer Service
- Brief description: someone who can take phone calls, respond to inquiries, provide customers with assistance, and complete administrative tasks.
- What’s required: quiet home office and the ability to learn and use technology and software programs.
- How to make money: Concierge, Help Desk Analyst, Member Service rep, Call Center rep
- Average income: $14 per hour
The opportunities to work while being a full-time mom are endless! Whether you’re doing it for money, passion or personal gains – there’s something for everyone. The ability to raise a child is the most rewarding job, but it doesn’t mean we can’t chase our dreams or have an outside interest. In addition to being highly skilled at multitasking, we know a thing or two about patience and hard work – go get ‘em mama!
Disclaimer: These numbers are based on my online research of the average pay in the United States and does mean you will make this exact figure. Some people will make a lot more and some will make less.